What is the current status of this project?

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:01 PM

This looks like it may be exactly what I need, but I don't see any recent activity in this project, and the project status displayed is Beta. Does the SSIS Batch Geocoder still work?

I downloaded it and tried to run the sample package. I updated the BingMapsKey value with a key I created. The geocoder fails with the following error.

[Geocode From Query [269]] Error: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at SSISBatchGeocoder.Geocoder.ExecuteBingGeocodeFlow()
   at SSISBatchGeocoder.Geocoder.ExecuteBatch()
   at SSISBatchGeocoder.GeocoderTransformation.FlushCurrentBatch()
   at SSISBatchGeocoder.GeocoderTransformation.ProcessInput(Int32 inputID, PipelineBuffer buffer)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.ManagedComponentHost.HostProcessInput(IDTSManagedComponentWrapper100 wrapper, Int32 inputID, IDTSBuffer100 pDTSBuffer, IntPtr bufferWirePacket)

I am new to the bing geocoder, so I am not sure if the problem is with my key or something else. I tried using the key in a URL as described here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff701714.aspx

That worked. Is there a better way to test that I have a good key for the SSIS geocoder?

Coordinator
Sep 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM

The current version should be working with SQL Server 2008 R2. It does not yet work with SQL Server 2012. I have, however, had similar problems with "Unauthorized" errors. I thought that it was due to Bing changing its policies, due to some peculiar email messages that I received from them, but the policy stated on their website had not changed as of the last time I checked some months ago. It is possible that they have disabled the service via the API that this component is using, which I believe is the REST API (I haven't looked at the code in a long time!). The component does, however, access the service by constructing an URL and doing an HTTP GET, so I am a little surprised that your test worked but the component didn't.

I need to investigate further, but I am not certain when I will be able to do that. One possibility is that they have changed the syntax of the URL and that the component needs to be modified. Let me see if I can find time this weekend to have a look.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Thanks! I would be happy to help out in any way that I can.

I have a Basic / Not-for-profit key

Here is the URL I tested.

http://dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Locations/US/WA/98052/Redmond/1%20Microsoft%20Way?o=xml&key=mybingmapkey

Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 2:19 PM
To: Sabina Beraha
Subject: Re: What is the current status of this project? [SsisBatchGeocoder:397348]

The current version should be working with SQL Server 2008 R2. It does not yet work with SQL Server 2012. I have, however, had similar problems with "Unauthorized" errors. I thought that it was due to Bing changing its policies, due to some peculiar email messages that I received from them, but the policy stated on their website had not changed as of the last time I checked some months ago. It is possible that they have disabled the service via the API that this component is using, which I believe is the REST API (I haven't looked at the code in a long time!). The component does, however, access the service by constructing an URL and doing an HTTP GET, so I am a little surprised that your test worked but the component didn't.

I need to investigate further, but I am not certain when I will be able to do that. One possibility is that they have changed the syntax of the URL and that the component needs to be modified. Let me see if I can find time this weekend to have a look.

Coordinator
Sep 28, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I don't know a better way to test Bing Maps keys. I wonder, however, if it could be a problem with the key not being authorized to use the Bing Maps Geocode Dataflow API, which is a different one from the API that you used to test your key. I suspect that something like that could have happened to my keys as well, one of which was a developer key and the other a non-profit key. I would still like to double-check that the API has not changed and, especially, that the version of the API used by the component is still available.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Edited Sep 28, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Thanks. I tried the sample code at the Dataflow API site. It fails with the same error.

The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.

I submitted a request to Bing Maps for Enterprise for access to the dataflow API.

Sent: Friday, September 28, 2012 2:50 PM
To: Sabina Beraha
Subject: Re: What is the current status of this project? [SsisBatchGeocoder:397348]

I don't know a better way to test Bing Maps keys. I wonder, however, if it could be a problem with the key not being authorized to use the Bing Maps Geocode Dataflow API, which is a different one from the API that you used to test your key. I suspect that something like that could have happened to my keys as well, one of which was a developer key and the other a non-profit key. I would still like to double-check that the API has not changed and, especially, that the version of the API used by the component is still available.